January 20, 2025

Today was Terry's birthday, he turned 87. when I asked him a few days ago what he would like to do for his birthday he said he doesn't like to celebrate his birthday so don't do anything. Barbara came to visit and stopped by taco bell because Terry did say that was his favorite. I think he was pleased we remembered his birthday, as Barb and I also gave him some presents.

Then somehow Mom got to talking about how she doesn't have much of a short-term memory bult when she is lying in bed she remembers when she was young. Then she told us of how she met Jerry Smith when she was 12 years old, and he would walk her home from school every day. He was a year older, and they were boyfriend/girlfriend through high school.

One time when our family was driving to Utah from New Mexico we stopped in Monticello to get something to eat. While we were there, Mom called Jerry to catch up. She knew he lived there and was a Dr. It was weird to have her do that while we were all sitting there, but Dad was ok with it.

She didn't remember when Jerry died so I looked up the obituary for her, He had named one of his daughters Sheryl, after Mom. Mom said he told her that he did, but I had never heard about it.  Mom talks about Jerry a lot, what might have been, but it makes me feel sad when she does. 

January 22, 2025

Today I went with Mom and Terry to the vascular surgeon. She had a test to see about why she is losing her short-term memory. The results are that the carotid arteries are narrowed. The one on the left about 50% and the one on the right 90%. Because of her age, and her fragile condition surgery is not recommended. The Dr said that she is still getting adequate blood flow to the brain. She is going to get a new statin med to help prevent any further buildup and prevent possible stroke.

As we were leaving, she told the Dr that "my daughter doesn't think I can do anything right".  The Dr said it looks to me that you are receiving very good care."

Later I told Mom that what she said about me wasn't very nice. She denied it then I told her what she said and then she denied saying it. I know she will never change, but I am going to call her on her bad behavior to me or Terry. It's ok if she calls me bossy and tries to "tell on me " to the Dr.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog