Thursday January 23
Today I went with Terry to his speech therapy appointment. He was having a hard time speaking sometimes and he has lost his singing voice, which he was sad about. He told me that when he was a young man he was frequently asked to sing at funerals and he said his voice would fill the room.
This was his second appointment, and he had done his homework so when he did the exercises the therapist had him do, he had made some good improvement. Terry was pleased too.
Mom decided to come along, but she just waited in the car. The appointment was next to LDS hospital so afterwards we drove downtown to see the progress on the Salt Lake Temple. All we could see was scaffolding.
Mom then wanted to get something to eat and she told Terry he had to choose. Terry said "I'm not going to do that "so I said, "I guess we're going home then" because Mom kept pushing for Terry to decide and he wouldn't answer her when she kept asking where he wanted to go.
I just drove home going down State Street. Mom didn't want to go into a restaurant, so we had to go somewhere that had takeout. Mom found a menu in her purse from the last time we went to a Chinese place near us, so we headed that way.
Then I remembered a sandwich shop that was on the way, so I suggested that. Mom said OK so we brought home some Philly Steak sandwiches. Clint loved to go there, and I hadn't been there for along time. when we got home, Mom tried them and didn't like it so she didn't eat any.
I asked her if she would like me to make her something else, but she said no.
Friday January 24
Moms' home health physical therapist came this afternoon. He asked her if she had done her exercises and she admitted that she had done some, but not regularly. She also told him that she had a hard time sleeping last night because she woke up in the night hungry and realized she hadn't eaten any dinner.
She told him how Terry said she was getting smaller and smaller, but she didn't believe him. The therapist was having her use her walker to walk around and she stopped by a scale that is in the kitchen, and she decided to weigh herself. She is down to 112 lbs. with her clothes on. She was 120 at her last Dr appointment last month.
I had purchased some frozen bread dough and made her a couple of scones for breakfast because she said that sounded good, but then she said they didn't taste good, so she only had a few bites. I think her sense of taste is changing and since food doesn't taste good, she isn't eating as much.
The therapist also told her that in order for insurance to pay for his visits he has to see that she is improving, and he hasn't seen any yet. Then he said he can come one more week, but he won't be able to continue unless she is doing better. I hope that is enough motivation for her. She doesn't like me to tell her what to do, and I think she is too used to doing what she wants so if she doesn't feel like it, she won't do the exercises.
I made one of her favorites tonight, corned beef and cabbage and she ate quite a bit so that will be on the menu again!
Brad says he’s finding Nana’s weight that she is losing.😉. Bless you Vera for your patience. I love and appreciate you!
ReplyDelete